domingo, 14 de abril de 2013

TOP 8 regional Lisbon - Water Machina - Bernardo Guerreiro


Bernardo Guerreiro "Arawn"
Top 8
Regional Lisbon (Kult Games)


Deck

The original idea for this strategy was shown to me by a friend of mine, Pedro Fernandes. He showed me a deck that took advantage of the fact that Undine got you Genex Controller in hand, turning it into an actually useful card. The idea was to summon Undine, pitch Treeborn Frog to the Graveyard, and bring Genex Controller to hand. With this simple move, you instantly made any Machina Fortresses (and therefore Gearframe) in your hand live, but you now also have Treeborn Frog to facilitate your tribute monsters (including Machina Fortress, if it comes to that). You can also run a Marksman and an Infantry in your deck, which means your Undines aren't a bad card to draw even after Treeborn is in the Graveyard. They basically have a mini-monarch effect, allowing you to simplify the gamestate before you drop Machina Fortress or Light and Darkness Dragon.

Here's my build of it:

LINK


In my build, I really wanted to play Swap Frogs, because I wanted Treeborn Frog to always be there, but in addition to that, it's a card that gives me a lot of interaction with my other cards, allowing me to reutilize Caius, Machina Gearframe, Light and Darkness Dragon, Gorz the Emissary of Darkness, etc. I also added Light and Darkness Dragon. In regular Frog Monarchs, you normally summon back a beater with him, but in this deck, after your opponent handles your LaDD's negations, he often has to worry about dealing with a Machina Fortress. Most times, that's just too much to handle, so Light and Darkness Dragon just wins you the game outright.

Another change was the addition of Quickdraw Synchron, which is another machine to discard for Machina Fortress, but can also make Drill Warrior with Treeborn Frog. Quickdraw has always been a really good card in Monarchs, as you can reutilize cards like Caius and LaDD via Drill Warrior, but here you can also add back Machina Gearframes, or loop Machina Cannons for infinite Machina Fortresses. Undine + Quickdraw synchron can also make a quick Junk Destroyer at the cost of 2 inhand cards. Since Undine can send Marksman, you actually destroy 2 cards (1 via Marksman, 1 via Junk Destroyer), and get to keep a 2600 ATK monster, so that's a +1. Finally, Jinzo is another machina that is a really good card to bring back with Light and Darkness Dragon, and can just outright win you the game. (it won me 2 games in this regional)

As for my (controversial) decision to run 45 cards. I have a lot of power plays in this deck, and most of them aren't combos, but single card plays. As a result, playing more cards doesn't actually take away from the consistency with which I get to be aggressive. The only thing I need to make sure is I have a Treeborn Frog available at all times. By running 45 cards instead of 40, I decrease the change of opening one of my 9 Treeborn Frog combinations by 5%. It goes from 80% to 75%, so I felt that for a tournament that wasn't very large, that was not a huge deal. Admittedly, I would rather run 43 or preferably less, but I don't have a lot of time to test online/in person at this point, and I honestly didn't want to cut any card from my maindeck, so I just went with that. (The main argument against running so many cards here is the consistency of the side-deck, which is a legitimate concern; that's the main reason I said I would rather run less cards)

The regional went well. I tied a game with a Samurai player, because he was inexperienced and took way too long to develop his Gateway combos game 2, and I had a hand that actually allowed me to fight back (Tragoedia), so I almost won. Then I lost to Dark World, and immediately regretted my decision of not running the 2nd or even 3rd Gemini Imps (I put one in the side deck once I saw there was Dark World in the tournament, before handing in my decklist). In the top8, I lost to Wind-Up's because they decided to have time in the top. I had one of my best hands in the tournament, with Undine, Machina Fortress, Tragoedia, Gorz, Enemy Controller and Caius. Unfortunately, time was called soon after, and because of some early damage I took and his Level Limit Area - B he was lucky enough to have in time, he won.

The deck performed really well, and once again, it's really fun to play. I don't feel like I need to run any of the top tier decks to do well at Regional level, and I have more fun playing with these unknown strategies, so that's why I decided to run it. That, and because Light and Darkness Dragon, Quickdraw Synchron and Machina Fortress are three of my favorite cards in the game!

I encourage you to try this and have some fun!

Arawn

Sem comentários: